Theme Changer

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Apr 2, 2007 at 7:56 PM
I have a clean install of MOSS 2007 Server and when I run the wsp for Theme Changer I get this error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I realize this is the most basic an error message but I am not sure why it wouldn't work for me. This is the first time I have every tried to install a solution or feature by command line.

Regards,
Greg
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2007 at 10:38 AM
To get the Theme Changer to work, you must have both the ThemeChanger and the ThemeChangerStaple feature in stalled. The ThemeChanger specifies the theme and alternate CSS to use while the ThemeChangerStaple specifies the types of sites (like Team Site) that should use the new theme.

Add the solutions
STSADM -o addsolution -filename ThemeChanger.wsp
STSADM -o addsolution -filename ThemeChangerStaple.wsp

Deploy the solutions from Central Admin on the Operations tab "Solution Management"

Activate the staple feature from Central Admin

Then create a new Team Site and see what happens
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM
I realized that... what I meant was that when I run:
STSADM -o addsolution -filename ThemeChanger.wsp

I get the error of: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It won't even install the solution. This may just be a Sharepoint environment problem.

Greg
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM
Apr 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM
I found my problem. I found out that by changing by English (United States) date short format from mm/dd/yyyy to something else causes all stsadm commands and database connections from external sources to fail. I have corrected it and it is working perfectly now.

Greg
Apr 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Is it possible to have the Theme Changer and Stapler to apply to the My Site site creations?

Greg
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2007 at 1:26 AM
I think not. My Site odifications have gotten a bit more complicated in this release
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2007 at 10:18 AM
Correction. I think you could do this nicely. Please see this post

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/22/customizing-moss-2007-my-sites-within-the-enterprise.aspx

May 16, 2007 at 3:12 PM
I loaded the theme changer and changed the elements.xml under the themechangestaple to point to spspers#0 and so far....it changes the theme for my site when it is created. Thanks...Scott, for sharing this. Now I'm trying to use similar logic to config the quick launch in my sites....so that in an enterprise setting....the enterprise can have my sites set up with a brand (master page with web parts defined for the private page), theme, and a quick launch with what the enterprise wants on it...vs what comes from the default mysite site definition. Steve over under mysites create provides the staple for controling the brand/web parts for the my site create event. Kudos to Steve for sharing that with us!
May 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM

I updated elements.xml to add SPSPERS#0, but when i create a my site it doesn't use the theme.  What am Idoing wrong?

<?

xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<

Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">

<

FeatureSiteTemplateAssociation Id="B8DED45F-E2D9-4a5f-BD7F-502B737BE901" TemplateName="STS#0" />

<

FeatureSiteTemplateAssociation Id="B8DED45F-E2D9-4a5f-BD7F-502B737BE901" TemplateName="STS#1" />

<

FeatureSiteTemplateAssociation Id="B8DED45F-E2D9-4a5f-BD7F-502B737BE901" TemplateName="SPSPERS#0" />

</

Elements>

Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM
My Sites are created the first time the user clicks the link. Are you perhaps looking at sites that were already created?
May 29, 2008 at 1:28 PM
I keep forgetting - iisreset is my friend.
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM
... thanks (from france) for this work.
I unsderstood the interest of this feature... but... when i create a new site i don't see the difference.
Is it because i use a "french" MOOS 2007 installation?