WindowLinks not in Features List

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:38 PM
I have followed the instructions to install the WindowLinks.wsp and have deployed it globally, but I cannot find the item in the Features List in order to activate it on my site. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Coordinator
Nov 2, 2007 at 8:55 PM
Look in the Site Collection Features list

Scot
Nov 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM
Thank you for your reply. I did check there, but still don't see it. I only installed the single item. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Try these steps

1. Go to Central Admin > Operations Tab > Solution Management
2. Verify that the Windows Links solution is in the list
3. Verify that the solution was deployed, if not deploy it
4. Go to the Site Collection Features page of your SharePoint site (not Central Admin, but the actual site where users go) and click the Activate button.
5. Go to the Create page and make a new list

Scot
Nov 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM
By "Site Collection Features Page," I assume that I should go to the home page of my site, click Site Actions, Site Settings, Modify All Site Settings, Site Features. Unfortunately, WindowLinks isn't showing in that list. I've gone back to the administrator to verify that the wsp has been deployed (it has been deployed globally). But I still don't see the item to activate.
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2007 at 1:38 AM
No. Site Collection Features are different. Look under the Site Collection Administration column at the root of the collection.
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:26 PM
Woohoo! That did it. Thank you.

One final question, though. Is there a way to add that to the web part gallery instead of only accessing it via "Create?"
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:45 PM
After you create a list, that list will be available as a web part. This is normal list behavior and you can use it to drop the list wherevever you want so user will see the links.
Nov 5, 2007 at 7:08 PM
Thank you.

Can that web part then be saved as part of a template for future use when creating new sites?
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2007 at 1:50 AM
You can save the list as a template in the same way as any other list.
Nov 14, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Thank you so much for your help.