MangageConfig Features - Delete Function Not Working, "Value" Does Not Matter To Create A Section But It Cannot Be Blank

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:29 PM
We deployed the ManageConfigMods Tool and tested it in our local environment.

1) When create a “Section” through the tool, the “Value” is irrelevant and we cannot leave it blank.
2) “Delete” functionality is not working.
3) When we try use delete functionality, “Attribute” is deleted from the list but it is not deleted from “web.config” file. The same thing goes for “Section”.
4) An entry is created in the ManageConfigMods Tool even if the Xpath is incorrect.

Are there any available workarounds to the issues above?
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2007 at 8:12 PM
The feature could definitely use some enhancements for these cases. As for the Delete functionality in particular, I have not seen this work consistently anywhere. It looks like the item is removed from the collection, but not from the web.config. I have had better luck doing it with an STSADM extension, which is available at http://www.codeplex.com/SPDevMod. If anyone can add some more information about deletion, please chime in.

I'll put your comments on my list for revision :-)
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM
There is now a new version of the Web Configuration Management utility. I have solved most of the issues mentioned above and tested it against several common scenarios like:

- Adding new appSettings
- Configuring debugging
- Configuring policies
- Adding SafeControls entries
- Creating new sections

I have also added more robust validation to prevent you from making bad entries, which can seriously impact the system.
Oct 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Thanks Scott!!! I'll be checking out the changes.
Nov 9, 2007 at 2:55 PM
I just got the latest solution and installed it on my vpc and created a new section then deleted the section and the section was still in the web.config so this doesn't appear to be fixed yet. It also still requires you to enter a value for a section.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2007 at 12:27 PM
I'm looking at some testing results. I think these are the last couple of things, but it's not clear to me that the section will ever go away. I'll know more next week.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2007 at 10:37 AM
OK. Here's where we are with the functionality of the Manage Config Modification feature.

Problem: Sections that are created cannot be deleted. This appears to be a limitation we can't overcome. Someone chime in if it's possible
Solution: Remove sections from web.config files by hand after the modification is removed using the tool

Problem: Invalid paths can entered into the tool, resulting in orphaned modifications
Solution: We can either "lockdown" the tool to only support certain use cases or leave it open, but the person using it must be careful not to enter invalid data.
Nov 14, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Hey Scot, thanks for looking in to this. The only problem I have seen with sections being stranded and manually deleting the sections, is if you make another change through the tool, it will put those sections back in the web.config. So the tool apparently still thinks those sections should still be in the config for some reason. Anyway, if this can't be fixed my vote would be to take "Section" out of the available options you can choose in the tool and remove the sample for section at the bottom. Just my two cents.