Feature Deployment

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2007 at 6:32 PM
Greetings Scott,

A discussion on how to package and deploy Features could be great.

I see all kinds of differnt examples for how people are deploying features out there and some are more or less manual.

Can you explain how the Install.bat file (included in your Features) is supposed to be used? Is it automcatically invoked by the SharePoint server after you upload the feaure? Do I need to move the Install.bat file to the server and run it myself?

Recently I downloaded a feature that was pretty easy to deploy. I ran stsadm -o addsolution on it and then everything else was done through the UI - including installation of the assemblies in the GAC. It's a bit confusing how that works, and how to support it in solution packages.

P.S. I took your class on MOSS2007 development at Mountain View, CA. It was a great class. Thanks! And thanks for all these great examples.

Ben Steinwand
SLAC, SCCS
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2007 at 11:31 AM
Hi Ben,

Regarding the installation for the features, you may find BAT files and/or WSP files in the packages on this site. Generally BAT files are used during the development process to copy files and register assemblies on a single server. BAT files are not appropriate for production deployment. For production deployment, you would utilize the WSP file, which will deploy to all servers in the farm. The WSP file is used through STSADM -o addsolution as you described.

HTH,

Scot